Sunday, June 13, 2010

Adios!

This trip has been one of the greatest experiences of my life so far. I've been turned upside-down, flipped over, spun around, and then put back rightside-up again. I have been challenged in so many ways, and I have grown so, so much.

One day, I stood on top of the Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan. Looking out at the fantastic view, I had a revelation.

If you want to study spanish, or really any foreign language for that matter, you are actually choosing to study life.

You have to fall in love with everything that the language represents, or you miss out on the point entirely.

And when you discover that passion, Spanish is suddenly much more than a college major.

It is learning how to say hello and goodbye.
It's Salsa, Cumbia, and Merengue.
It's gaining an appreciation for a little spice.
And a little tolerance for the unexpected.
It is laughter.
It is celebration.
It's dancing along to a mariachi band.
And watching little kids play futbol.
It is hundreds and hundreds of years of rich culture and history.
All summed up in one Diego Rivera painting.
It is the smell of fresh bread being made on our way to school everyday.
And a watching Quincineara begin a few doors down.
It is making new friends.
And saying hola to every stranger.
It's loving a little chaos.
And going with flow.


Looking back, I think my favorite thing about Mexico is that everywhere you look there are people smiling and laughing. In America, not many people grasp the idea of living in the moment, letting the day take you where it wants to go. The people here understand that happiness is something important. They treat every day like it is a beautiful gift, ready to be opened and enjoyed. I have learned so, so much from being here.

Today is my last day. It's bittersweet knowing the next incredible chapter of the summer is about to begin, while at the same time, already missing this place.

I've climbed mountains and pyramids, braved the bus system, eaten the best food I have ever experienced, cheered on the Mexican futbol team in the World Cup, talked and talked and talked over anything and everything, made new friends, watched the sun set behind gorgeous mountains, relaxed on a beach in Acapulco, danced in the middle of the city, experienced a meat market, and learned more about myself than anything. This trip has been....perfect. It was hard, but so worth every moment.

And now.........................................SPAIN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment